I love office supplies. Actually, I love paper. And I really really love a good planner. I’ve used a planner for decades and I never go to a meeting or travel without mine. Early in my career I was a fan of Franklin Planners but over the years my tastes and my work process has evolved. Last year I tried Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map planner, and after using it for a year, I’m ready to give it a review.
Any planner will help keep you organized. What I like about the Desire Map planner is that it is more than just a calendar and a to-do list. If you’re not familiar with Danielle Laporte, she’s the author of White Hot Truth: Clarity for keeping it real on your spiritual path—from one seeker to another, The Fire Starter Sessions, and The Desire Map: A Guide To Creating Goals With Soul—the book that has been translated into 8 languages, evolved into a yearly day planner system, a top 10 iTunes app, and an international workshop program with licensed facilitators in 15 countries.
Danielle believes that everything you create starts with the spirit of your intention—and The Desire Map Planner is a practical (and beautiful) tool for that intentionality. It’s equal parts introspection, life designer, gratitude journal, and scheduler. It’s a holistic system for designing a life that reflects how you most want to feel. And yes, it’s a little bit woo-woo. That’s part of why I like it!
Desire Map Planner Options
- Daily Planner (Includes a full page for each day.)
- Weekly Planner (This is the one that I use. You can see the whole week on a two-page spread.)
- Undated Planner (Uses the weekly planner format but does not include dates so you can start any time you want.)
- iPad Planner (For those of you who don’t like paper. See this video.)
Daily Planner is 9.5″ x 7.5″ while the Weekly and Undated Planners are 8.5″ x 6.75″. The Daily Planner makes a beautiful office or home planner, while the weekly is easy to carry around everywhere. The Daily Planner goes into great detail for each day—with one page dedicated to each day of the week. Both the Weekly and Undated Planners look at the entire week as a one-page spread, so you can plan everything from a bird’s eye view.
A Look Inside the Desire Map Weekly Planner
If You Want To Dig Even Deeper …
If you’re ready for even more introspective work, every Desire Map Planner comes with a program of free digital workbooks:
- FREE & CLEAR | Workbook 1: Get grounded before you set goals and intentions. Examine your strengths and delights, then say goodbye to what’s really not working for you.
- CORE DESIRED FEELINGS | Workbook 2: Generate a vision for a life that’s aligned with how you really want to feel.
- GOALS WITH SOUL | Workbook 3: Choose intentions that feel authentic to you—in sync with your Core Desired Feelings.
In fact, you can use these workbooks without buying the Desire Map planner and they are a great tool for goal setting.
I’ll be honest. I don’t do all of the “work” every single week. But I can tell you that on the weeks that I spend some time filling in the fields, setting intentions, and writing down my core desired feelings (alongside my goals), without fail I have a happier and more productive week. And when I look back on the goals that I set for 2018, I’ve accomplished almost all of them. You can’t ask for too much more than that.