Fresh sweet corn and juicy peach season is finally here in Colorado and I’m tempted to make this summer peach and corn salad every day until the first frost. I topped it with my Lemon Basil Vinaigrette and it was perfection on a plate. And this recipe ticks all of the healthy boxes: Paleo, Whole30, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free and Vegetarian.
Let me try to describe this healthy summer salad. Imagine the flavor of fresh sweet corn combined with juicy sweet peach slices, ripe tomatoes, and a sprinkle of green onions. I also strongly recommend adding a few pieces of pan seared golden Halloumi cheese. Or, for the Paleo, whole30 and vegetarian versions, add an avocado. It all comes together with a delicious sweet and tangy Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette. It is ridiculously good. One bite and you’ll fall deeply and forever in love.
Remember: A great salad starts with the freshest ingredients. Yesterday when I was buying peaches at my local farmer’s market, the booth purveyor offered to give me a couple of extra over-ripe peaches. They needed to be used immediately and were perfect for this recipe as all of the peach juices just made the salad sweeter.
If you really want to make this salad next level, add a few slices of grilled Halloumi cheese. If you’ve never had Halloumi, it is a firm, brined sheeps milk cheese, often served flaming in Greek restaurants. When pan-fried or grilled it holds its shape and gets crusty and golden on the outside. It is a little bit salty and delivers a delicious gooey cheese punch.
Try it and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
Destined to become your favorite healthy summer salad, this recipe features fresh sweet corn, juicy sweet peaches and tomatoes with a lemon basil vinaigrette. It’s Paleo, Whole30, Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free and Vegetarian.
For the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- (optional) 1 teaspoon honey
For the Salad:
- 6 cups greens (your choice of arugula, spinach, power greens, baby lettuce)
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 small bunch, green onion
- (optional) one avocado peeled and diced
- (optional) 6 slices of Halloumi cheese
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and combine.
- Slice the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife. Do this in a big bowl or pan so that you don’t make a mess.
- Mix corn, sliced peaches, tomato and green onion in a bowl and toss with a few tablespoons of the dressing.
- (Optional) Sear Halloumi cheese in a skillet until brown on both sides.
- Place greens in a bowl, and top with corn and peach mixture. Add cheese or avocado if desired.
- Garnish with additional green onions and/or basil. Serve with additional dressing.
The lemon basil vinaigrette is slightly tart. If you want it sweeter, add a teaspoon of honey.
For a variation you could grill the corn and the peaches before assembling.
You could also make this dish with the 5-Ingredient Soon-To-Be-Famous Vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: summer salad, greek salad, picnic, potluck, healthy salad, peach salad, corn salad