This vegetarian stuffed zucchini recipe features a scrumptious and healthy filling made from quinoa, eggplant, onion, garlic, mushrooms and goat cheese. It works as both a main dish or a side dish (served alongside chicken, beef, pork or seafood.)
Stuffed Zucchini with Quinoa and Goat Cheese
- olive oil
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped, white and green portions separated
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Japanese eggplant, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa OR one package frozen
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the interior of each piece; small dice the interiors and place in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the hollowed zucchini boats with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in a 450°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling. Once the water is boiling, add the quinoa and cook 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot. Set aside and let cool slightly as you continue cooking. OR heat frozen cooked quinoa in microwave, following package directions.
- While the quinoa cooks and the zucchini boats bake, chop the remaining vegetables (green onions through eggplant) and mince garlic.
- Add two teaspoons olive oil to hot skillet and sautee white portion of green onion with minced garlic for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 to 2 minutes, or until softened. Add 1 teaspoon of oil to the pan along with the eggplant, red pepper, chopped zucchini and red pepper flakes. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Stir in the vinegar, basil and cooked quinoa. Remove from heat and set aside as you continue cooking.
- Fill each of the roasted zucchini boats with as much of the cooked vegetable/quinoa filling as possible. Save any remaining filling to serve on the side. Sprinkle the top of each stuffed zucchini with the panko breadcrumbs and goat cheese.
- Return stuffed zucchini to oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and the breadcrumbs are toasted.
- Garnish with chopped green onion tops.
You can buy pre-cooked frozen quinoa at Trader Joes.