When I was a kid, I hated green beans. I mean HATED them. Of course the only green beans I ever had came out of a can or were mixed with gloppy cream of mushroom soup and served with Thanksgiving dinner.
Enter fresh Haricot Verts and suddenly I’m a green bean lover. Haricot Verts, also known as French beans, are a thinner, shorter variety—usually about 4-inches long (while Blue Lake green beans are 5-7 inches). They cook in about half the time, and are more tender than Blue Lake green beans. And they usually do not have to be trimmed or “strung.” before cooking.
You can find them in the fresh produce section of most grocery stores and they can be cooked on the stove, or steamed right in the bag that they come in. Easy cleanup for the win!
This super healthy and easy green bean side dish comes together in less than 15 minutes and serves two to four people. Al dente green beans (Haricot Verts) combine with an umami pop from the sauteed mushrooms, onions and coconut aminos.
You could absolutely add garlic or ginger to this dish depending on your preference. Just sautee’ it once the onions and mushrooms have softened (after step 3.) A sprinkling of toasted nuts or green onions on top would also be lovely.
Here’s a video that walks you through the cooking process in less than 60 seconds.
Try it and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.Print
This super quick and easy vegetable side dish comes together in less than 15 minutes and serves two to four people. Al dente green beans (Haricot Verts) combine with an umami pop from the sauteed mushrooms, onions and coconut aminos.
- One 12 ounce package Haricots Verts (thin green beans).
- 5 or 6 sliced shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced thinly
- 2–3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a non-stick or cast iron skillet to medium.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Sautee mushrooms and onions for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Following directions on package, steam Haricot Verts (green beans) in microwave for 4 minutes.
- Add steamed green beans to onion/mushroom mixture on the stove. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons coconut aminos.
If you have leftovers, they are delicious eaten cold or tossed on top of a salad.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: paleo, asian, haricot vert, green beans