The price of vanilla extract has gone through the roof. I don’t know about you, but we go through a LOT of it. (Paul puts a splash in his coffee every morning.) So, when I discovered I could make homemade vanilla extract with just TWO ingredients in less than FIVE minutes, I was all over it. This homemade vanilla extract recipe is super easy and it’s better quality than the grocery store vanilla extracts. Plus it’s waaaaaay less expensive … and it makes a terrific gift!
How To Make Five-Minute Vanilla Extract
All you need are two ingredients (vanilla beans and the booze of your choice*) and about five minutes of time to put together a batch! I ordered my vanilla beans from Amazon and they arrived in two days (thank you Amazon Prime). A package of 10 vanilla beans makes two one-cup batches and cost me $27. That is much less expensive than a store bought (or premium) vanilla extract. And two cups is a LOT!
I’ve included instructions to make a one cup batch, but you can double or triple the recipe to make a great big batch for yourself, or to give as a gift.
- Chop the vanilla beans from 5 vanilla pods (beans) into half inch pieces. It is best to use grade B vanilla beans which are better for making extract as they are drier than grade A.
- Place the the cut pods inside of a clean jar and top with 1 cup of alcohol* and close with a tight-fitting lid.
- Let the jar sit room temperature. It will be ready to use at six weeks, though it is best to leave it as long as possible. At six weeks it will taste similar to store-bought extract, but the longer it sits, the better. And it has an indefinite shelf life.
*Any neutral tasting alcohol (70 to 90 proof) like vodka is a good choice, but you could also use brandy, rum or bourbon as long as you’re are okay with it imparting a slight flavor. I used Tito’s vodka because I had it on hand and it is gluten-free.
Gift Idea: You can give Homemade Vanilla Extract as gifts by separating the mixture into small jars and adding a cute tag or a ribbon.
Try this Homemade Vanilla Extract and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
You can make homemade vanilla extract with just TWO ingredients in less than TEN minutes! This homemade vanilla extract is better quality than the grocery store vanilla extracts. Plus it’s waaaaaay less expensive … and it makes a terrific gift!
- 5 Grade B vanilla beans
- 1 cup of 70 – 90 proof alcohol (see note below)
- Using a sharp pairing knife or kitchen scissors, cut vanilla beans into 1/2″ pieces. You do not need to scrape out the beans.
- Place in a clean 8 ounce jar and cover with 1 cup of 70-90 proof alcohol.
- Seal with a tight fitting lid and let it sit at room temperature for at least 6 weeks before use. The longer you let it sit, the more flavor it has.
Any neutral tasting alcohol (70 to 90 proof) like vodka is a good choice, but you could also use brandy, rum or bourbon as long as you’re are okay with it imparting a slight flavor. I used used Tito’s vodka because I had it on hand and it is gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla extract, homemade vanilla extract, diy vanilla extract, food gift