This Italian Wedding Soup is a spin on a recipe developed by TV star and Fortina restaurant owner Christian Petroni and it features a delectable combination of robust greens paired with a hearty broth and bits of delicious pasta.
Meatballs, Vegetarian & Gluten-Free Options
Feel free to use ground chicken, pork or beef for the meatballs. But if you eat meat, it’s amazing with ground pork meatballs.
Or you can omit the meatballs and use vegetable stock to make a vegetarian version.
Any small pasta works well in this dish – penne, rigatoni, ditali, or elbow macaroni. Feel free to use gluten-free pasta if you prefer.
Try this Italian Wedding Soup recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
Italian Wedding Soup features a delectable combination of robust greens paired with a hearty broth and delicious pasta. If you prefer a vegetarian version, omit the meatballs and substitute vegetable broth.
- (optional) 10 ounces ground pork, chicken or beef
- 2 scallions
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary (or substitute dried)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock. I like to use my chicken bone broth.
- 6 ounces pasta (can substitute gluten-free pasta)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Peel carrots and slice into thin rounds.
- Remove kale leaves from stems. Chop the kale leaves into small pieces.
- Slice scallions
- Add ground meat and 1/8 cup parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Roll meat into 12-16 balls and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 min until cooked through, shaking the pan occasionally. You can also fry them in a skillet but baking them in the oven is less messy.
- While meatballs are cooking, boil pasta according to package directions.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and saute carrots for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add kale, 2 cloves of garlic, rosemary, chopped scallions and Italian seasoning and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken, beef or vegetable stock. Heat to boiling on high.
- Once the soup is boiling, add the meatballs. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup over the cooked pasta. Garnish with remaining parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, italian wedding soup, meatballs, vegetarian soup, pasta, gluten free soup