Here’s my take on the viral Green Goddess Salad that’s been taking over the internet. I tweaked the recipe a bit by adding avocado (for creaminess) and a fresh jalapeno pepper (for a little kick).
Thanks to @bakedbymelissa for the recipe inspiration. This salad truly lives up to the hype. It’s a cross between guacamole and pesto but with the crunch of coleslaw.
How To Serve Green Goddess Salad
You could certainly serve this salad traditionally as a side salad, but eating it on tortilla chips (like a dip) is a much healthier alternative to traditional snacks. It also makes a great topping for tacos, burritos, tostadas or enchiladas.
Green Goddess Salad Substitutions
This recipe is super flexible. You can modify the following things with confidence:
- Nuts – If you don’t have walnuts, substitute whatever you have on hand. I’ve made it with almonds, pistachios and pine nuts.
- Herbs – Feel free to supplement the fresh basil with fresh parsley and dill.
- Cabbage – The traditional recipe is made with green cabbage but you can use red cabbage or napa cabbage.
- Jalapeno – I added a whole fresh Jalapeno to the dressing to give it some kick, but omit if you don’t like peppers
- Avocado – I added an avocado to the dressing to make it even creamier.
- Cheese – The original recipe is vegan which is why it calls for using nutritional yeast instead of cheese. If you aren’t opposed to animal products, you could definitely substitute parmesan or romano cheese.
Check Out My Other Favorite Salad Recipes
Grownup Dish spin on the viral Green Goddess Salad. It’s a cross between guacamole and pesto with the crunch of coleslaw. You’ve gotta try it!
For the salad base:
• 1 head green cabbage, or iceberg lettuce, or both
• 3-4 mini cucumbers, or one large, finely chopped
• 1 bundle of finely diced chives
• 1 bundle of finely diced green onion or scallions
For the dressing:
• juice of 2 lemons
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 small shallot
• a sprinkle of chives
• 1/4 cup walnuts, cashews, or both
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 cup fresh spinach
• 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded
• 1 small avocado
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• salt & pepper
- Finely chop salad ingredients.
- Mix dressing ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Mix dressing with cabbage mixture and serve with tortilla chips.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green goddess, salad, salad recipe, viral salad, viral green goddess salad, coleslaw, healthy salad, cabbage, tik tok salad, tik tok