I love eggplant parmesan but I hate it when it gets mushy. That’s why I developed this Easy Cheesy Sheet Pan Eggplant Parmesan that ensures that every bite is the perfect mix of crunchy, saucy and cheesy.
In this recipe, the eggplant is dredged in a seasoned breadcrumb mixture and baked until it’s delightfully crispy. Then each piece is individually topped with tomato sauce, two kinds of cheese, and a sprinkle of basil (or pesto). This ensures that every bite is a perfect bite and … no more mushy eggplant.
My husband isn’t the biggest eggplant fan. Well, he wasn’t the biggest eggplant fan until he tried this recipe. In fact, when he takes the leftovers to work for lunch, his co-workers always stop him and ask him what smells so good. One of these days I’m going to have to make eggplant for his whole office!
How To Choose The Perfect Eggplant
Look for eggplants with smooth, shiny skin that are uniform in color and heavy for their size. To test for ripeness, lightly press a finger against the skin. If it leaves an imprint, the eggplant is ripe. Choose smaller eggplants as they tend to be sweeter, less bitter, have thinner skin and fewer seeds.
Avoid eggplants that are wrinkled or have blemishes, bruises or tan patches.
You can find eggplants year round but peak season is August and September.
How To Make Easy Cheesy Sheet Plan Eggplant Parmesan
1. Dredge the eggplant
2. Bake the eggplant
3. Top the baked eggplant with sauce and cheese
4. Broil until the cheese is melty.
5. Eat and enjoy!
Try this Easy Cheesy Sheet Pan Eggplant Parmesan recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts!
Check out my favorite vegetarian recipesPrint
Say goodbye to mushy eggplant. This Easy Cheesy Sheet Pan Eggplant Parmesan ensures that every bite is the perfect mix of crunchy, saucy and cheesy goodness!
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/2 in rounds
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounces fresh mozarella sliced, or shredded mozzarella (or a combo)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or pesto sauce
- Place cut eggplant slices on a paper towel lined cookie sheet and lightly sprinkle with salt. Let them sit for at least 15 minutes (longer is better) to release excess water.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Remove eggplant slices from paper towels and pat dry.
- In a small shallow bowl, mix breadcrumbs, half of the Parmesan cheese (1/8 cup) and Italian seasoning.
- In a second bowl, lightly beat two eggs until fully combined.
- Dredge each slice of eggplant in the egg (flipping over to ensure it’s fully coated) and then immediately dredge it the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure it’s fully covered. Arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake eggplant for 15 minutes. Flip it over and bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven and top each eggplant slice with a tablespoon of marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and an (optional) dollop of pesto.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake (or broil) until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 10 minutes).
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve extra marinara sauce on the side.
If you’re looking for a gluten-free version of this recipe, there’s a really good one in The Whole Smiths Real Food Every Day cookbook.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: eggplant, eggplant parmesan, keto, vegetarian, baked eggplant, sheet pan meal