What can you do when you can’t decide between eggnog and hot chocolate? Get them both with this festive holiday mashup: Chocolate Nog! Everyone is sure to love it. Even Santa.
This holiday season I encourage you to be mindful of the ingredients in your favorite holiday treats. Take eggnog for example. Many brands contain thickening additives, synthetic stabilizers and non-food chemicals. I believe that eggnog should be free of these ingredients allowing you to enjoy the delicious flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, custard and cream.
Just Four Simple Ingredients in This Chocolate Nog
Why I Choose Kalona Supernatural Dairy For My Chocolate Nog Recipe
- Kalona SuperNatural Organic Classic Eggnog – If you follow me on social media, you already know that I’m obsessed with this non-homogenized eggnog. I like adding it to my coffee for a special holiday treat. And this is the “cleanest” eggnog I’ve been able to find. It’s certainly not “health food” but at least it’s made with real food ingredients and it’s not full of junk. Kalona works with small, sustainable family farms to provide delicious, certified organic eggnog from pasture-grazed cows. Because Kalona doesn’t use synthetic stabilizers, the spices in their eggnog will settle to the bottom of the bottle. Make sure that you shake it really well before using.
- Kalona Supernatural Organic Milk – This is the ONLY milk that we use because it’s organic, grass fed and the least processed. Based in Kalona, Iowa, a small farming community in the heartland of America, Kalona works with small, sustainable family farms to provide delicious, certified organic milk from pasture-grazed cows. Six days a week, milk from these local farms arrives at Kalona’s creamery where it’s processed using a lower-temp pasteurization process that keeps the natural enzymes in tact. And, because the milk isn’t homogenized, there’s always a little delicious cream on the top of the bottle. It’s like finding a little present!
Try this yummy Chocolate Nog recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
When you can’t decide between hot chocolate and eggnog, get them both with this festive drink mashup: Chocolate Nog.
- 1 1/4 cups milk*
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups eggnog*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the milk and chocolate to a medium sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
- When milk is simmering but not boiling, remove the saucepan from the heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Then, whisk until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. Return the saucepan to low heat and add eggnog and vanilla.
- Serve in a festive mug.
* Be sure to use high-quality, organic, grass-fed dairy for the best results. Kalona Supernatural is my favorite.
You can use any kind of milk: whole, 2% or low fat.
You can scale this recipe up to feed a crowd. You could also make it in a slow cooker.
Keywords: beverage, warm drink, hot chocolate, eggnog, holiday,