A few years ago I attended a “Spring Cleanse” event at Hope Springs Institute. The instructor, Nancy Willman of Main Street Yoga shared a delicious asparagus soup recipe that inspired my version. Nancy is a good friend and an amazing cook and this recipe has become one of my favorites.
This oh-so-smooth, rich soup tastes like springtime in a bowl. It’s deliciously creamy but it includes no cream … no dairy at all. It’s also low calorie, Paleo, Whole30, grain-free and vegetarian (if made with vegetable stock.) With only a handful of squeaky clean ingredients, it’s quick and easy to make, reheats well and freezes beautifully. If you make it with bone broth it won’t be vegetarian but it will have lots of superfood properties.
I really like the smooth texture of this soup, but you could also add additional cooked vegetables to give it some texture. Steamed broccoli, cauliflower or zucchini zoodles would all work well.
Try this Creamy Asparagus Soup and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
This creamy, rich soup tastes like springtime in a bowl. And it’s low calorie, dairy-free, Paleo, Whole30, grain-free and vegan. Made with only a handful of squeaky clean ingredients, it’s quick and easy to prepare, reheats well and freezes beautifully. And if you make it with bone broth, it’s got lots of gut-healing properties.
- Olive or avocado oil
- 2 bunches of asparagus, washed and cut into 2” pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped leek, thoroughly washed and chopped (white part only)
- 4–5 green onions, chopped, white part only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 40 ounces vegetable stock, chicken stock, bone broth or combination
- Flat leaf parsley or green onion tops for (optional garnish)
- Roughly chop onion, leek, green onion and 2 cloves of garlic
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan to medium.
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil
- Sautee onions, leeks, green onion and garlic for 4 – 6 minutes until translucent and fragrant
- Add chopped asaparagus
- Add broth/stock. Most of the asparagus/onion mixture should be covered.
- Simmer 30 – 40 minutes until all vegetables are very soft and cooked through.
- Safety tip: Turn off burner and let mixture cool slightly (15 – 20 minutes)
- Thoroughly puree mixture using immersion blender OR carefully transfer to blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper as well as the juice of one lemon.
- Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley or green onion. You could also garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
- For vegan or vegetarian version, use vegetable stock.
- This recipe reheats and freezes beautifully.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: asparagus, soup, recipe