The BEST dark chocolate cupcake recipe! It’s over-the-top delicious and can be made with gluten-free or all purpose flour. Top with whipped cream or your favorite frosting.
- 4 ounces room temperature butter
- 2 ounces chopped chocolate (see notes)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all purpose or cup for cup gluten-free flour (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a standard cupcake pan with cooking spray, or use cupcake liners.
- Combine butter, chocolate and cocoa in a heatproof bowl (stainless steel or glass). Place over a double boiler (aka saucepan filled with simmering water) and whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is creamy and fully combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar and vanilla. Mix until fluffy.
- Slowly add in the melted chocolate mixture until fully incorporated.
- Add sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and gently combine. Do not overmix!
- Portion into a cupcake pan. (A cookie scoop comes in handy for this task.)
- Bake 15-18 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- If you’re not gluten-free, you can use all purpose flour and they will still turn out perfectly.
- I used a 68% dark chocolate, but you could easily use a darker or a semi-sweet chocolate depending on your taste preferences.
- Category: recipe
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcake, gluten-free, baking, cake, chocolate, chocolate cupcake, dark chocolate, chocolate cake