I really love Thai food and this Thai Larb Salad is one of my favorite dishes to make at home. Larb is a Thai salad, but it’s not a vegetable salad. Instead it’s a meat salad served with and alongside vegetables. The minced pork is wonderfully seasoned with fish sauce, chili flakes, lime juice, carrots, shallots, mushrooms, and a wonderful assortment of fresh herbs to bring it all together. You can make it as spicy as you’d like by adjusting the amount of chili pepper that you use.
This recipe is based on the Thai Larb Salad recipe from The Defined Dish. I put my own spin on it by:
- Adding additional vegetables (carrots and mushrooms)
- Reducing the amount of pork
- Upping the fresh herbs
I like to make this Thai Larb Salad with ground pork, but you can also use ground turkey, chicken, or beef if you prefer. With the delicious umami flavor from the fish sauce and lime, the heat from the thai chiles, and the freshness from all of the herbs… it really doesn’t matter which meat you choose – it will be healthy and delicious.
Try this healthy recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
This healthy Thai Larb Spicy Pork salad is bursting with Thai flavor from the chili peppers and fresh herbs. It’s paleo, keto and whole30 compliant.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 thai chili (or substitute Serano or Jalepeno pepper)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil (Thai basil preferred), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, but not smoking, toss in the shallots, mushrooms, carrots, ground pork, and the garlic. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring and breaking up the meat often, until the pork is cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- Drain off excess fat (if necessary) and add the thai chiles, fish sauce and lime juice. Saute for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the fresh herbs, remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Serve in lettuce cups or over a bed of greens topped with more freshly chopped cilantro, mint and basil.
Try serving with a side of sliced cucumber, onions, and a wedge of lime. A side of avocado would also be delicious.
In the photo I also included some fresh corn, sauteed with a little bit of ginger.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: thai larb salad, spicy pork salad, Thai recipe, Thai salad, Whole30 salad, Paleo salad