- 2 – 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 – 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds ground chicken thighs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 13 ounce can, kidney beans
- 1 13-ounce can cannellini beans (can substitute garbanzo beans)
- 1 14-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 18-ounce jars crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon cacao powder
- Heat a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 tablespoons cumin and 1 teaspoon smoked paprika to dry pan and stir for 1-2 minutes until spices are aromatic.
- Add coconut oil to the toasted spice mixture and stir until the coconut oil is melted.
- Stir in ground meats (chicken, beef or combo) breaking up with a spoon, until the meat is fully cooked and no longer pink. Remove meat leaving a small amount of fat in the bottom of the pan.
- To the same pot, add carrots and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes. Then add onions and Jalapeno pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are soft.
- Return meat to the pot. Add fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and beans (if using.)
- Add cinnamon, cacao powder and salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low for 30 – 35 minutes before serving. Add additional seasonings to taste (chili powder, garlic powder and cumin.)
This Veggie Loaded Chili recipe is sugar-free and gluten-free. For Whole30, paleo or keto versions just omit the beans. It’ll still be delicious and all of the other ingredients are compliant.
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chili, vegetable chili, soup