Olive Garden Copycat Whole30 Zuppa Toscana soup is a hearty mixture of sausage, potato, kale and lots of veggies. It’s much healthier than the original Olive Garden version and even more delicious. Recipe is Whole30, dairy-free, sugar-free, keto & paleo.
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 cup sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. hot chicken or pork italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups diced potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 cups curly lacinato kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 32 oz chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour (can substitute all purpose flour if desired.*)
- 1 cup Nutpods original dairy-free creamer or 1/2 cup half and half.
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, fry chopped bacon until crispy. Remove cooked bacon and set aside. Reserve the rendered bacon fat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots and parsnips. Saute for 2-3 minutes until vegetables start to soften.
- Add sausage and break up the meat with a spoon. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- add arrowroot into the sausage mixture and combine.
- Add chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and add potatoes, kale, italian seasoning and salt/pepper to taste. Cover and simmer 15 – 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in creamer, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Cook for 5 more minutes uncovered.
- Serve topped with the bacon bits and (optional) chopped parsley.
Feel free to substitute all purpose flour instead of arrowroot but the soup won’t be Whole30 compliant.
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, italian food, zuppa toscana, sausage, potato, kale, keto dairy-free, whole30, keto, paleo