It sounds simplistic, but the key to making a really great guacamole is in the ingredients. You need perfectly ripe avocados, juicy tomatoes and fresh cilantro. Trust me, do not substitute dried spices in this recipe.
- 3 ripe medium sized avocados
- 1–2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeno, seeds and stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato (or 1 cup cherry tomatoes), diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon (or substitute lime), juiced
- Dash of hot sauce – I like the Chipotle Tabasco flavor
- salt and pepper
- Remove skin and pit of avocado. Mash in a bowl along with the minced garlic.
- Add onions, tomatoes and chopped fresh cilantro, stirring well after each addition
- Add lemon or lime juice
- Taste and correct seasoning
Serve with sliced vegetables, or chips (I love these grain-free chips by Siete.)
Try it as a topping for tacos, enchiladas, eggs or burgers.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Keywords: Mexican, snack, appetizer, Cinco de mayo