This Lemon Chicken Vegetable Soup is packed with greens and beans and it’s oh so delicious. You can make it one pot and it freezes beautifully if you want to enjoy it later.
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bunch or bag of sturdy greens (kale, collard greens, mustard greens)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add more if you want it spicier)
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 quart chicken stock, bone broth or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, mint, basil, chives or a combination
- Heat a large dutch oven on the stovetop. Add olive oil and chopped carrots, onion, celery. Saute for 7 – 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- While vegetables are cooking, chop greens and set aside.
- Add tomato paste, cumin, red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger. Stir mixture well.
- Add ground chicken or turkey and cook, breaking up the meat, until it is cooked through and no traces of pink remain (4 – 6 minutes)
- Add stock and drained beans.
- Simmer on low heat for 20 – 30 minutes.
- If you want a thicker soup, you can smash some of the beans with the back of a spoon to release their starch. Or you can leave the beans whole if you prefer a brothier soup.
- Add chopped greens to the pot and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. If the soup is getting too thick, add a little water or broth.
- Finish by adding the juice of one lemon.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh herbs, an extra drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
- I usually chop my vegetables in the food processor.
- For a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock and omit the meat
- You could substitute ground beef or pork for the ground poultry
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, soup recipe, chicken soup, bean soup, vegetarian soup, turkey soup, italian soup, easy soup