I’m not much of a baker. I loved baked goods but I don’t like the mess and the lack of measurement flexibility with baking. That’s why I was so intrigued when I saw a TikTok video by @condimentclaire for a gateau au yauort — an easy, no measure, one pot french yogurt cake.
This is a popular cake in France that many kids make for their friends. You don’t need any measuring cups. You start with a small pot of yogurt and then you use the yogurt cup/pot to measure the rest of the ingredients. It’s a very forgiving recipe because it basically works off a ratio. And it’s also very flexible.
How To Make A French Yogurt Cake
What Kind of Yogurt?
You can use any brand of full-fat yogurt that’s between 120 and 130 grams. And the yogurt can be plain, vanilla or flavored. I used Ferme vanilla yogurt in my video because I spotted it at Whole Foods and I loved that it came in a little reusable clay pot. But truly, any kind of yogurt will do.
Yogurt Cake Variations
You can really vary this cake by changing the type of yogurt that you use, adding additional ingredients, and by changing the pan that you bake it in. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Use vanilla yogurt and add in chopped apples and a dash of cinnamon
- Use strawberry yogurt and swirl in fresh chopped strawberries or strawberry jam
- Swirl in any kind of jam or preserves
- Add nuts: walnuts, almonds, pistachios and a little almond extract
- Add chocolate chips
- Add a glaze or frosting to the top of the cake
- Top the cake with fresh berries or whipped cream
- Use coconut flavored yogurt and add flaked coconut
One Pot French Yogurt Cake
- Total Time: 40 minutes
Delicious French yogurt cake is so easy kids can make it. Almost everything gets measured in the yogurt pot & there are endless variations.
1 pot full fat yogurt (120 – 125 grams)
1/2 pot of vegetable oil or melted butter
1 1/2 pots sugar or sugar substitute
3 pots flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) of baking powder
(optional) zest of one lemon 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Open the yogurt and put it into a medium mixing bowl.
- Then use the empty yogurt cup to measure the vegetable oil, flour and sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients (eggs through baking powder) and stir until combined.
- Fold in any additional ingredients (if desired).
- Pour into a loaf pan, an 8″ x 8″ pan or a round cake pan. I used a parchment paper liner to ensure it wouldn’t stick.
- Bake at 350 F for around 30 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle. You want it to come out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy.
- You can freeze leftover cake or wrap and store it for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: cake, yogurt cake, one pot cake, french yogurt cake, Gateau au Yauort, easy cake recipe,