We’ve been trying to eat more seafood. And the hubby isn’t a seafood lover. But these Healthy Weeknight Shrimp Tacos are spicy and flavorful enough to overcome his objections. The 30-minute recipe is easy enough to whip up on a weeknight, but it’s also delicious enough for company.
Don’t forget about the garnishes and toppings. You can buy pre-made salsa, guacamole or pico de gallo at the grocery store. Throw in a bag of pre-chopped cabbage, some cilantro, and a jar of pickled Jalapeno peppers and you’ll have a fabulous Taco Tuesday dinner on the table in no time.
Shrimp Tacos – Tips & Tricks
- Substitute pre-cooked shrimp. Just toss them in the seasoning and then put in the pan with the vegetables until they are heated through.
- Buy pre-made guacamole, fresh salsa or pico de gallo at the grocery store.
- Buy pre-shredded cabbage in the produce department.
- For gluten-free or Whole30 compliant version, use butter lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.
Try these Healthy Weeknight Shrimp Tacos and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
Healthy Weeknight Shrimp Tacos are spicy, flavorful and ready in 30 minutes. Recipe includes Whole30 and gluten-free variations as well as timesaving tips.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 poblano pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice blend or taco seasoning
- 1 lime
- 6 corn or flour tortillas (or substitute butter lettuce)
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- sour cream
- shredded cabbage
- pico de gallo
- chopped fresh tomatoes
- chopped picked jalapenos
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- Peel and thinly slice onion.
- Cut off and discard the stem of the poblano pepper and remove the core. Quarter lengthwise and then thinly slice crosswise.
- Season shrimp with salt, pepper and Mexican spice blend.
- Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high. Add one teaspoon of olive oil and sautee onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add seasoned shrimp and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the shrimp are opaque and fully cooked.
- Add the juice of half a lime to the hot pan. Toss the shrimp and vegetables to combine.
- Heat tortillas either wrapped in foil in the oven at 350 F or wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Divide shrimp between tortillas (or lettuce leaves) and top with your favorite garnishes.
- Calorie analysis does not include toppings and garnishes.
- For gluten-free or Whole30 version, substitute butter lettuce leaves for tortillas
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: shrimp, shrimp tacos, seafood tacos, whole30, glutenfree, healthy tacos, 30-minute meal, grain free, tacos