This recipe is super flexible. Use the ingredients and proportions as guidelines but feel free to substitute whatever you have on hand.
- Bones from 1 3-4lb. chicken
- 2 – 4 carrots, scrubbed and cut in half
- 2 – 4 celery stalks (or ends and leaves to equal 1 cup)
- 1 – 2 onions, quartered with skin and root end in tact
- 1 bay leaf
- 8–10 peppercorns
- Handful of fresh herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme and/or parsley; optional)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- (optional) 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Sea salt to taste
INSTANT POT or PRESSURE COOKER
- Place all ingredients in Instant Pot or pressure cooker. You do not need to defrost them first.
- Cover with water. Cook on high pressure for 100 minutes. Let steam release naturally. Strain and store.
- Place all ingredients in Crock-Pot. You do not need to defrost them first.
- Cover with water. Cook on high for 4 – 6 hours. Strain and store.
- Place all ingredients in a large soup pot or dutch oven on stovetop. You do not need to defrost them first.
- Cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer covered for 4 – 6 hours. Strain and store.
You can store the broth in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer indefinitely.