Are you ready for a healthier lasagna recipe where you will NOT even miss the pasta? This gluten-free spaghetti squash lasagna recipe is about to be your new BFF. Imagine tasty spaghetti squash (the stringy-in-a-good-way squash that makes an amazing pasta substitute) tossed with sautéed garlicy greens, creamy ricotta, and mozzarella, baked right in its spaghetti squash shell and topped with a delicious meat sauce and even more gooey cheese. Sounds like heaven, amiright?
The key to making this a quick and easy weeknight dinner is to make the amazing and easy Instant Pot Sausage & Mushroom Bolognese in advance and freeze it. Or, you can substitute the meat (or meat-less) spaghetti sauce of your choice. I’ve tried this gluten free spaghetti squash lasagne recipe topped with with a jar of high-quality sauce mixed with a pound of cooked ground chicken or beef and it’s still delicious.
While the recipe uses spaghetti squash as the “noodles” it still packs all of the yummy layers of meaty, cheesy, saucy flavors of a “traditional” lasagna. But with fewer calories and carbs and … no gluten!
Three ways to cook spaghetti squash (choose one):
- Oven: Bake cut side down for 50 – 60 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Microwave: Microwave each squash half separately for approximately 10 minutes on high.
- Instant Pot (pressure cooker): Add one cup of water to Instant Pot. Insert steamer rack or basket. Cook squash halves for 7 – 10 minutes (depending on size of spaghetti squash and then manually release the pressure.
You will cook and shred the spaghetti squash first. While the spaghetti squash is cooking, make the filling. Pile it back in the squash boats. Top it with the spaghetti sauce (and of course, more cheese) and bake. It sounds more complicated than it is. It’s actually a very easy recipe.
Try this Gluten-Free Spaghetti Squash Lasagne recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
This gluten-free spaghetti squash lasagna recipe will be your new BFF. Tasty spaghetti squash tossed with garlicy greens, two kinds of cheese & savory meat sauce. So ridiculously good!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3–4 cups baby kale, spinach, or power greens blend
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups Sausage and Mushroom Bolognese (or see simplified sauce in Notes)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Rub olive oil on cut side and interior of squash and season with salt and pepper.
- Baking: Place the squash cut-side down in a lined baking dish or cookie sheet and bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes.
- Microwave: Cook each squash half (cut side up) for 10 minutes on high in microwave.
- Instant Pot: Add one cup of water to Instant Pot. Insert steamer rack or basket. Cook squash halves for 7 – 10 minutes (depending on size of spaghetti squash and then manually release the pressure.
2. Pull the squash strings out with a fork and transfer to a large mixing bowl (be careful since you’ll want to preserve the squash shells to use as the “boats”). The squash strings will look like spaghetti.
3. While the spaghetti squash is cooking, in a medium non-stick skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and greens, stirring until the greens are wilted. Combine the cooked greens in a small bowl with the ricotta, one beaten egg, and 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Add the cooked spaghetti squash and stir to combine.
4. Fill each empty squash shell with the spaghetti squash mixture and top with Bolognese (or your choice of spaghetti sauce) and remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes until it his hot and all of the cheese is melted. Top with Parmesan, chopped parsley, and salt and pepper.