It’s a salad dressing, a sauce and a marinade. It’s three, three, three things in one. I had a heck of a time coming up with a name for this Five Ingredient Whole30 Herb Vinaigrette recipe, because it’s less of a recipe and more of a technique. And when I say “technique” don’t get scared and think that it’s too fancy. What I mean is that you throw some very simple ingredients into a blender and out comes … magic. And it’s Paleo, Whole30, keto, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free and gluten-free. You can’t ask for much more than that from five simple ingredients.
Seriously, this is the most simple and delicious salad dressing. I make a fresh batch every weekend and hope that we don’t run out during the week. Everyone who tries it asks for the recipe. I love it made with cilantro but I know that cilantro is very polarizing herb. If you’re not on Team Cilantro, I’ve provided several other herb combinations that are equally delicious.
But, don’t limit this vinaigrette to just salads. It’s also amazing as:
- a marinade
- a finishing sauce (drizzled on top of grilled meat or seafood)
- a vegetable topper that will make you want to eat your veggies
- a sauce for pasta salad
- a dressing for coleslaw
- dipping sauce (for crudites, or steamed artichokes, or cooked shrimp)
- a topper for this chopped salad or the rainbow salad jars
Try it and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
This recipe was inspired by Pinch of Yum’s 5 Minute Sunshine Sauce.
Try this yummy 5 Ingredient Whole30 Herb Vinaigrette recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
- 2 cups packed fresh herbs*
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 – 3 tablespoons vinegar (White vinegar works fine, but you can substitute whatever you have on hand.)
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic
- 1 thin slice of red onion or a 1/2 of a small shallot
- Salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, if needed
Suggested Herb* Combos
- cilantro (this is my standard “go to”)
- mix of cilantro and flat leaf parsley
- basil (delicious on chopped tomatoes and cucumbers)
- mix of basil and mint (great for Asian-inspired dishes)
- mix of basil, oregano and flat leaf parsley
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Add water to obtain desired consistency.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week. It probably won’t last that long.
Try it as a marinade for chicken, shrimp, white fish (tilapia or cod).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad dressing, vinagrette, marinade