When I need a little morning pick-me-up, I’ve been devouring this Fab4Mocha Smoothie. It’s a delicious mashup of cold brew coffee and chocolate with just a hint of sweetness and a little bit of crunch. The best part? No gluten, preservatives and processed junk.
We got a new puppy about a week ago and she’s been adjusting to her new home by barking and whining in her crate for much of the night. After the second or third sleep-deprived night, I realized that my usual decaf espresso in the morning was not going to cut it. I was really, really tired. So I decided to make a Mocha Smoothie using cold brew and following the #Fab4smoothie formula of protein, fiber, fat and greens.
I always drop a Blender Bomb into my smoothies, but if you don’t have one, don’t fret. Blender Bombs are pre-portioned nuggets that you can drop into your blender (along with fruit, greens and liquid) for a nutritional boost. They are plant-based, gluten-free and made with real food ingredients. They’re currently available only via mail order and will keep unrefrigerated for three weeks and longer in the freezer. You can read my full review of Blender Bombs HERE.
You can use homemade or store bought cold brew coffee in this mocha smoothie. Or you can just brew some really strong coffee (or espresso) and let it get cold (or better yet, freeze it into ice cubes.)
I’m breaking my #nobanana rule: If you’ve been following me for a while you may know that I do not like bananas at all. In fact, none of my other smoothie recipes contain bananas. But in this particular smoothie, I like to add half of a frozen banana and I pinky promise that you can’t taste it at all.
You can learn more about healthy Fab Four Smoothies and see my other recipes HERE.
Try this healthy Mocha Fab4 Smoothie today and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
When I need a little morning pick-me-up, I’ve been devouring this Fab4 Mocha Smoothie. It’s a delicious mashup of cold brew coffee and chocolate with just a hint of sweetness and a little bit of crunch. The best part? No gluten, preservatives and processed junk.
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup cold brew coffee, espresso or strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 scoop protein powder (I like Vital Proteins or the chocolate flavor from Primal Foods )
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or substitute coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (or substitute peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter)
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach, kale or cauliflower
- (optional) 1 Blender Bomb
- (optional) unsweetened cacao nibs or crushed whole coffee beans
- Place all ingredients except cacao nibs in blender and combine until smooth.
- Garnish with cacao nibs or coffee beans if desired
If you don’t have a Blender Bomb just add a little hemp hearts, chia seeds (or both) for some extra fiber.
For nut-free version, substitute sunflower seed butter for peanut butter.
Keywords: smoothie, shake, protein shake, fab four, body love, fab4smoothie, mocha