I’m a huuuuuuge fan of a Fab Four Smoothie as it keeps me full for hours and I love the idea of starting my day with a healthy combination of protein, fiber, fruit and greens.
FAB4 Smoothie Formula: Protein + Fat +Fiber + Greens + Liquid + Fruit (1/4 cup or less)
While I’m notoriously terrible at math, this is one formula I actually understand – lol
The Fab Four framework (protein, fat, fiber and greens) was developed by celebrity nutritionist and best-selling author Kelly Leveque in her book “Body Love.” Fab Four meals turn off hunger hormones, squelch inflammation, and provide the body with the perfect complete meal of essential nutrients. The Fab Four provides the structure for eating healthy without “eat” and “do not eat” lists.
Kelly created the Fab Four Smoothie formula to help her clients’ build a low sugar meal replacement smoothie. This is very different from the many juice shops, grocery smoothie bars and smoothie recipes online, which can be loaded with sugar, specifically fructose sugar from excess fruit, agave, dates, and juice. When it comes to energy, skin health, and weight loss, the #fab4smoothie is the key! The Fab Four formula limits fruit and instead helps you fill up on protein, fat, fiber and greens which naturally help to elongate and balance your blood sugar curve.
This combination keeps you from crashing before lunch and sabotaging your healthy eating efforts. When you arrive at your next meal “alive” you can easily make conscious decisions to put the Fab Four on your next plate.
Here’s why the Fab Four smoothie recipe formula is so effective:
- Protein ups collagen, muscle tone, and metabolism
- fat benefits hormones, skin, and cellular health
- fiber promotes gut microbiome proliferation and detoxification
- greens (or veggies deep in color) provide cancer and inflammation- fighting phytonutrients.
This combination is a fail-safe to turn off over eight hunger hormones in the body so you stop fighting not to eat and instead easily go 4-6 hours without thinking of food or snacking on processed foods.
Every Fab Four Smoothie recipe should include the following 4 elements:
- PROTEIN: 1 serving or 20 g of protein Organic pea, grassfed whey, bone broth or collagen. This is my favorite collagen powder.
- FAT: 1 tbsp. minimum per serving Almond Butter, Sunflower butter (a good no-nut alternative) Coconut oil, Avocado, Walnuts, MCT Oil – flavorless medium chain triglyceride oil from coconut
- FIBER: 1-2 tbsp or 10 g of fiber Chia Seeds, Flax, Hemp hearts or Acacia.
- GREENS: handful Kale, Spinach, Cucumber, Parsley, Cilantro etc.
Plus smoothies also contain:
- Liquid: Water, Unsweetened Coconut Milk, Unsweetened Almond Milk, Fruit Free Green Juice or Coconut Water (go fruit free with coconut water)
- (Optional) Fruit ¼ cup maximum per serving: Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Acai
HERE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE #Fab4Smoothie Recipes:
- Peaches & Cream Smoothie
- Pumpkin Spice Fab Four Smoothie
- PB&J Fab Four Smoothie
- Peach Basil Fab Four Smoothie
- Strawberry Basil Fab Four Smoothie
- Chocolate Berry Fab Four Smoothie
- Blueberry Muffin Fab Four Smoothie
- Spa Green Smoothie (no fruit)
- There are a LOT of additional recipes on my Fab4 Smoothie Pinterest Board or Kelly Leveque’s Fab4 Smoothie page. Just click on the image to see each recipe.