This delicious fried rice is jam packed with vegetables and crispy goodness. It’s vegetarian, gluten-free, and can be Paleo (if you make it with cauliflower rice.) And its a great way to use up any leftover vegetables.
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- 10 – 12 ounces, baby bok choy
- 2 or 3 chopped carrots
- 4 or 5 sliced mushrooms, shitake, bella or a combination
- 1 or eggs, preferably organic, beaten
- 1/2 cup Jasmine rice OR one 8oz package of cauliflower rice
- 3 or 4 chopped green onions (white part only.) Save the green tops for garnish.
- (optional) Any other leftover cooked vegetables such as brocolli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, peas, etc.
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled, grated or minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced (I use a garlic press.)
- Salt and pepper
- For traditional rice: In a small saucepan, combine rice, a pinch of salt and one cup of water. Heat until boiling. Cover pot, reduce heat to simmer and leave it undisturbed for 12-14 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed. Fluff with fork. Set aside.
- OR for cauliflower rice: Cook according to package directions, either in microwave or on stovetop. Set aside.
- In a nonstick pan, heat a drizzle of olive or avocado oil on medium high until hot.
- Add the carrots and saute, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the minced garlic, ginger and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add chopped bok choy, mushrooms and any other uncooked vegetables. Cook 3 – 4 minutes.
- (Optional) Add any cooked vegetables that you find in your fridge. Heat until warm.
- Using a spoon, move the vegetables to one side of the pan. Add a drizzle of oil to the open side and then add the beaten egg(s). Cook, constantly stirring the eggs until they are cooked through. Mix the eggs into the vegetable mixture to thoroughly combine.
- Remove the egg and vegetable mixture from the pan and set aside in a bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- In the same pan used for the vegetables, heat one teaspoon of oil on medium high until hot.
- Add the cooked rice in an even layer and cook, without stirring for 4 – 5 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Add the vegetable/egg mixture back into the pan with the rice, adding 3 tablespoons of coconut aminos.
- Stir well and serve with chopped green onion tops as garnish.
- Category: recipe
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: side dish, vegetarian, vegan