Everyone loves ranch dressing. But the bottled version is full of questionable ingredients. It’s easy to make this Better Than Ranch Salad Dressing at home with just a few whole food ingredients. From there, you can make several variations including Blue Cheese Dressing, Green Goddess and Creamy Mexican.
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or grated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken (I like Kalona brand)
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of cayenne pepper or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- ground black pepper to taste
- Using a garlic press or a grater, mash the garlic clove and put in a small bowl.
- Whisk in buttermilk, yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard and spices.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.
- If desired, add herbs, cheese, etc. per the variations below.
Blue Cheese Dressing: Add 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese at the end.
Green Goddess Dressing: Add 3 teaspoon finely chopped fresh herbs such as flat leaf parsley, chives, tarragon, dill.
Creamy Mexican Dressing: Add 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro and as much finely chopped Jalapeno pepper as you like.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: recipe
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad dressing, buttermilk salad dressing, blue cheese dressing, green goddess dressing, buttermilk