Carbonara is an easy weeknight dinner – cozy, comforting and shockingly easy to make. First of all, you only need five ingredients. That’s why it’s called 5-Ingredient Creamy Carbonara.
Creamy carbonara is the perfect weeknight comfort meal to make when you haven’t planned anything for dinner. If you keep some bacon or pancetta in your fridge/freezer (and if you don’t, we need to talk) you can whip this up with pantry staples in less than 30 minutes.
Also, don’t let the “creamy” in the title scare you. This recipe doesn’t use any cream or butter. Creamy carbonara gets its creamy-ness from the eggs.
You can use ANY kind of pasta in this dish although I prefer it with a longer noodle that I can twirl on my fork. Jovial gluten-free pasta is my favorite. You could also substitute zoodles (zucchini noodles) to make it even healthier.
Try 5-Ingredient Creamy Carbonara recipe and let me know what you think. Be sure to tag #grownupdish or @grownup_dish on Instagram so I can share your posts.
5-Ingredient Creamy Carbonara is an easy weeknight dinner – cozy, comforting and shockingly easy to make. It uses pantry staples and gets its creaminess from eggs (no cream or butter)!
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced small
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 pound traditional or gluten-free pasta (or substitute zoodles)
- (optional) fresh parsley or basil to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the directions. Cooking time will vary depending on the type of pasta you’re using. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook pancetta or bacon until crispy, 5-7 minutes.
- combine egg yolks, egg, parmesan and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the bowl with the cheese and the eggs, tossing to fully combine.
- Add pancetta/bacon as well as any rendered fat.
- Add pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
- Add salt, pepper and extra cheese as desired.
- (optional) top with fresh chopped parsley or basil
If you are substituting zoodles for pasta, omit step 1 of the recipe and use lightly sauteéd zucchini noodles instead.
Keywords: pasta, carbonara, pasta carbonara, weeknight dinner, italian food, gluten free, 30-minute meal, creamy carbonara, bacon